Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Welcome!

Hello there! Wait, don’t be afraid! I’m not going to hurt you. What are you doing in the cemetery at this ungodly hour? Ah, you’ve lost your way. That’s not at all surprising; the fog is thick this evening and you can hardly see the moon through the clouds. But where are my manners! Please allow me to introduce myself; I am Jargo Abendroth and I’m the caretaker of these grounds.

Yes, I’ll be happy to show you the way out of course. I’ve been here for a very, very long time now you see, and even in this darkened gloom I know my way around the cemetery like the back of my hand. Follow me, but whatever you do don’t stray too far.

While I’m indeed sympathetic to your situation I must confess that I find it pleasant to have the opportunity to finally chat with someone who’s still warm for a change. Normally I only have the dead to keep me company, and they’re terrible conversationalists. Ah, it’s a lonely existence but I find ways to . . . amuse myself.

You see, each of these moldering tombstones, sunken graves and crumbling crypts has a story to tell, some of them rather fascinating. In fact, consider this one for instance. Here, I’ll hold the lantern closer so you can read the inscription. Let us rest here for a moment and I’ll tell you all about it. The night is young after all. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment